Fri, May 22, 2026
Text Size
Tuesday, 12 July 2016 07:21

Work progresses on 1st phase of £10m Morecambe flood defence scheme

Work on the first phase of a multi-million pound project to replace Morecambe’s wave reflection wall being carried out by VBA joint venture is progressing well.

MORECAMBE BAY FLOOD DEFENCE WALLReplacement of the wave reflection wall is taking place in three stages - the first phase will see the replacement of 1,800 metres of the wall on Marine Road East between Lord Street and Happy Mount Park.

 Detailed plans are currently being drawn up for phase two, which will focus on the Marine Road West area from the Midland Hotel to the Battery.  Phase three of the six year project will see work taking place on Sandylands Promenade.

 The project is funded by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, the Environment Agency and Lancaster City Council.

The three phases will cost £10 million in total and the new wall will significantly reduce the risk of flooding to large parts of Morecambe. The wall will withstand predicted high tides and storms for generations to come.

The VBA joint venture of VolkerStevin, Boskalis Westminster and Atkins, has so far replaced 586 metres of wall between Morecambe Town Hall and Broadway and construction of a new ‘up and over’ feature will create greater all year round access to the promenade and viewing platforms.

Mark Gardner, framework director for VBA, said:

 “The project is coming along really well and it is exciting to see the wall going up piece by piece down the promenade. It will not only look a lot better but will also reduce the risk of flooding to Morecambe, so will be a great benefit to the local community.  We are excited to be preparing plans for the second phase of the project.”

Other new features in the replacement wall will include the incorporation of nearby street names and patterns inspired by the area, along with new surfacing, seating and lighting.

Councillor Janice Hanson, Lancaster City Council’s Cabinet member with responsibility for economic regeneration, said the works were an important and welcome improvement to the promenade which will protect the town from the threat of coastal flooding for years to come.

News Showcase

Sign up to receive the Waterbriefing newsletter:


Watch

Click here for more...

Login / Register




Forgot login?

New Account Registrations

To register for a new account with Waterbriefing, please contact us via email at waterbriefing@imsbis.org

Existing waterbriefing users - log into the new website using your original username and the new password 'waterbriefing'. You can then change your password once logged in.

Advertise with Waterbriefing

WaterBriefing is the UK’s leading online daily dedicated news and intelligence service for business professionals in the water sector – covering both UK and international issues. Advertise with us for an unrivalled opportunity to place your message in front of key influencers, decision makers and purchasers.

Find out more

About Waterbriefing

Water Briefing is an information service, delivering daily news, company data and product information straight to the desks of purchasers, users and specifiers of equipment and services in the UK water and wastewater industry.


Find out more