Work to reduce the risk of property flooding is soon to begin in a Northumberland village. Northumbrian Water is to invest £500,000 to upgrade the sewerage network in Choppington.
The three-month improvement scheme which begins next Monday will reduce the risk of flooding to five properties. The work will involve upsizing 300 metres of sewer pipe to provide an additional 200,000 litres of storm water storage.
]Paul Davison, Northumbrian Water’s project manager for the scheme, said:
“We appreciate that flooding is distressing for customers, so reducing this risk is one of Northumbrian Water’s top priorities. This scheme will offer the residents of Choppington some protection for the future.”
Last week the company also started work on a £370,000 scheme to improve the sewerage network in Plawsworth, between Durham and Chester le Street. “Reducing the risk of flooding is one of Northumbrian Water’s main priorities, and this scheme is part of a £1.2 billion investment between 2010 and 2015 to upgrade our vast water and sewerage networks.”
The work is expected to take three months to complete and will reduce the risk of flooding to a property on Wheatleywell Lane that has flooded in times of extremely heavy rainfall.
The water company will construct 95 metres of new sewer pipe in private land and an underground storm water storage tank will be built in a field with a holding capacity of 126,000 litres of water in times of heavy rainfall, to be returned to the sewerage network afterwards.
Graham Watson, Northumbrian Water’s project manager for the scheme, said:


Hear how United Utilities is accelerating its investment to reduce spills from storm overflows across the Northwest.