The Environment Agency has lifted the restrictions on bathing in waters along the Fylde coast - the restrictions were introduced following major sewage discharges after a 9 metre-deep pipe fracture at United Utilities' Fleetwood wastewater treatment works.

This follows more than two weeks of round the clock activity at Fleetwood wastewater treatment works where United Utilities engineers have put in place 2,000 metres of bypass pipework and the plant is now operating at near normal capacity.
Bathers are advised to check Swimfo so they can continue to make informed decisions about entering the water, including when and where to swim.
United Utilities said storage levels have returned to normal in the Fylde Coast drainage system and recent rainfall has not overwhelmed the system. The last time any storm water was released into the sea was on Tuesday 20th June.
The beaches that had been affected by the “no swimming” advisory notice were:
- Bispham
- Blackpool Central
- Blackpool North
- Blackpool South
- Cleveleys beach
- Fleetwood
- St Annes
- St Annes North
Work to dig down and repair the 9 metre-deep fractured pipe is continuing at the site but this is not expected to have any further impact on local bathing waters.
Mark Garth, United Utilities Wastewater Services Director, said:
“We have not spared any cost or resources in our response to what has been a hugely challenging incident. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused for residents, visitors and businesses along the Fylde Coast and I want to thank everyone for their patience while the situation was resolved.
“We know people will have many questions about what happened, how we responded and what our longer term plans are to protect the environment. We are holding a series of drop-in sessions next week and we will provide further details about these when they are confirmed.”